Thursday, October 25, 2007

And the Winner Is:

Last week in Baku was a great time. I ate all the food that I wanted to, several times for some of them and got to see all of my friends in one place again which is always great. We went out dancing a few nights and on Saturday afternoon we played some people from the US Embassy in softball. The field was really nice, much better than what we have gotten used to. The game was a lot of fun as well. I only got a couple of hits (everyone struggled at the plate but we got the big hits) and scored a run. I threw out a runner at home from left field as well in the first inning which proved to be a big play later in the game. We got down a few runs early but got back in the game thanks to Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" blasting out of someone's iPod stereo. Going into the top of the ninth, we were down 9-8. Once again, we decided to play some Journey to get us the lead. An AZ5 got a couple of big RBI's to put us ahead 11-9. The Embassy team scored one run in the bottom of the ninth but that was it as our defense shut them down. Afterwards we all went out to lunch for nachos and chicken nuggets. Then it was time for all of us to head back to our sites. Ben and Magda came to Lankaran with Ashley and I and we've made awesome meals all week and just been having a great time.

Also during the week, we had our medical and dental check-ups and everything turned out great. I'm healthy and within the normal weight range for my height, so don't worry Bonnie's mom. It's all good. You'll all also be pleased to know that I have no cavities. I'm relieved because now I don't have to worry about it or go back to Baku for fillings. Good stuff. I also took my language test on Tuesday and scored an Intermediate High which means I improved a little bit and I can get a tutor to start learning Russian. I think it'll be challenging but I want to give it a shot.

Now the moment you've all been weighting for (GET IT???). I got a decent amount of guesses and they vary quite a bit. My personal guess would have been 134, but I figured it wouldn't be fair of me to make a guess. Some guesses were intriguing, such as Joel and his ELMO!! guess. I think he's just a little bit off though. My official weight at the time of my weigh-in was.......... 139 pounds. So John, with your guess of 138.8, you are the winner. Sorry Zach, I wanted to go in dripping wet, but the Peace Corps is very strict about walking around dripping wet. Oh well. Congratulations and thanks for your guesses. Now I must prepare for the Halloween party.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Joel gave John the answer. Everyone knows "Elmo" weighs 139 lbs.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John's a fool anyway - hope you are having fun - new Bears games coming to you soon! Hang in there Thomas and for goodness sake - please eat!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like there are some sore losers out there. Joel had no influence on my guess.... Anyway, hope all is well over there, I'm waiting for the next challenge...

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to make it clear that that's bull! 102 soaking wet! I demand a measurement. And yes, I've been drinking a little.

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too late!!! I just received my call, and frankly, it was awesome. I'm a winner. Good luck next time, non-winners.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home